Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Just bought some A-7's......

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    A friend alerted me to these on Craigslist....under the musical instrument section. I bet most Altec fans don't look there...I don't!
    Anyway, no horns or drivers. Orig Plywood cabs...825's? Not mint, but pretty darn nice. Not beat up at all!
    Orig 416-8A woofs, orig cones. They are mint. N-501-8A crossovers.
    These even have the orig Voice of the Theatre decals....a couple are peeling a bit.

    I'll get a photo tomorrow eve.

    BTW....$175.....

    I really have no use for these, but couldn't resist.

    My name is Ron, and I'm addicted to Altes's.....

    I just happen to have horns in stock...drivers too, and a pair of N1201 X-overs. Maybe I ought to give A7's a whirl again?

    I'm such a geek.....

    Ron

  2. #2
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Soooo..... are you looking to sell these? forums

    Or are you just trying to make me feel bad?

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 30, 2008 03:18 PM: Message edited by: ClassicComics ]</font>

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    First, the last thing I would do is buy these cheap and sell em for more.
    I'm not that kind of guy.
    When a local deal like this comes along....and it's rare, I buy them just to preserve the breed.
    If....I were to sell these, the price would be $175.
    Hard to ship, that would likely cost more.

    My plan here is to clean them up, add the better x-overs, along with a pair of MantaRay 994 horns and see how they sound.

    I started with A7's in 1977....bought them new. It's been awhile since I've heard a pair.

    Wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad.

    Ron

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Addendum:

    One crossover is a N501-8A. The other is a N1501-8A. Hmmm, wasn't the N1500 for the duplex?

    Also interesting that someone wired the HF terminals to the woofer......no wonder they didn't get used very much.

    I'm cleaning them up now.

    Ron

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    While I have been looking for a while, that si where I found my score,

    reminds me of when I was a kid looking for mudbugs (crawdads) under rocks and all kinds of things in the stream/ creek..

    nice find there and a great price...

    -chris

  6. #6
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I love the sound of A7's, they slam you with a midbass that moves some air indeed, & the midrange is detailed with some good horn drivers.
    They are awesome when you bi amp & use a good tube power amp for the compression drivers.
    You just need a nice big room to get the best out of them. Good subs defiately are an improvement for low bass.
    Altec 19's are pretty nice, but the mids are more defined with A7's IMHO.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    RonSS - I was just giving you a hard time. I know you know I am searching for an A7 for my center channel for my theater.... if you decide to sell them let me know, I'd buy two just to get one I could use now. In fact, last I checked Steve Mac would take the other one for his center.... forums Just in case you decide to get rid of them. forums

    I'm not even sure where you are located, I was just being jealous! forums

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Question:

    Why do old Altecs smell like old Altecs?
    I swear, every time I get some of this old gear, it has that smell.

    Also, is there a paint color that can be bought to touch these up? They have a few scuffs.

    Lastly, these have the screens over the ports. Looks factory to me. Was this the norm? I've never had an older pair. It also looks like these screens can be removed, and the horn hung in the port. At least I can see unused T-bolts inside the cab.

    Ron

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm in Oregon.

    If I decide to get rid of these, you and Steve get first shot at bargain price.

    BTW, don't be jealous....the last deal..."these were my fathers babys"....was a disaster! I bought ****** water soaked boxes, with all bad drivers for $800. This deal just equalized that mistake....sort of.

    Remenber too, these are just woofs and boxes....no horns.

    Ron

    Originally posted by ClassicComics:
    RonSS - I was just giving you a hard time. I know you know I am searching for an A7 for my center channel for my theater.... if you decide to sell them let me know, I'd buy two just to get one I could use now. In fact, last I checked Steve Mac would take the other one for his center.... forums Just in case you decide to get rid of them. forums

    I'm not even sure where you are located, I was just being jealous! forums
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ July 31, 2008 01:14 AM: Message edited by: RonSS ]</font></font>

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 31, 2008 12:57 PM: Message edited by: RonSS ]</font>

  10. #10
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    funny I just posted about those.... crazy....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.